To carry out its mandate, the Low-Level Radioactive Waste Management (LLRWMO) provides the following services:
- Strategic planning and technical support, in collaboration with government departments.
- Removal of low-level radioactive waste (LLRW) from contaminated sites and emplacement in temporary or long-term management facilities.
- Management/monitoring of interim LLRW storage facilities until long-term solutions are available.
- Environmental remediation and management of sites contaminated with historic LLRW.
- Identification, technical consultation on and management of radioactive artefacts found on public and private properties throughout Canada.
- Provision of information to the public about historic waste management programs and LLRW in general.
- Sharing of technical expertise and practical experience within the international community through technical papers, presentations and attendance at conferences and meetings.
- Technical and management support to the Port Hope Area Initiative Management Office (PHAI MO).